Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pickled Eggs

there is one thing that my chubby hubby loves to  munch on during the big games is his sweet mustard eggs. So when I can I always put a few quarts up  for the long winter games..
The best recipe I have found was also one of our former presidents. I found this while reading an antique cookbook.
dozen eggs. ( this will depend on the size of your jars etc. I get between a ten and a dozen depending on the size of the eggs.
The recipe here is for one quart jar so depending on how many quarts etc you plan to put up you will have to multiply the recipe accordingly.

1/2 cup of vinegar ( white)
1cup of sugar
1Tbsp. salt
1tbsp of pickling spice
2 heads of dill
2Tbsp of prepared mustard
1 clove garlic ( cut up and in the jar)
2 heads of Dill
1/4 cup of onions cut up
1 slice of Green pepper chopped

Place the ingredients in the jar and put lid on I then shake the jar to mix everything together then place the boiled and peeled eggs in the jar once you get the jar full of eggs you fill to 1/2 inch of the top with water wipe off the top and put lid on.
Place in your cold pack canner or large stew pot with cool water in it place lid on and bring to a boil for approximately thirty minutes once the liquid is boiling inside the jar remove and let cool on a towel  until they seal.
these make the best sweet mustard eggs leave set at least two months before eating. I hope you enjoy this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment